Saturday, November 01, 2008

Misty Morning Surprise

Tuesday morning, I arrived at school shortly after 7 a.m. It was a misty morning and just barely light as I drove through the gates. As I always do, I paused to admire the beauty of the campus at first light. That morning it was especially lovely because of the mist and the golden glow of the brilliant, wet leaves on the trees along the edge of the woods. I got my ever-ready camera and took a few pictures, noting as I did that birds were singing from the quiet from the woods.

As I looked around, I noticed that someone was sitting on the front steps. After I caught my breath, I realized that it was one of the early-bird students waiting for someone to come along and let him inside. Crossing the parking lot a little faster than I’d planned, I called out to him, asking if he’d been waiting long. I was glad to hear it had only been a minute or two. “I didn’t mind,” he said, surprising me with his mellow reply. “I like sitting here in the quiet. It’s so beautiful. The birds are singing and it’s kind of cool with the mist and all.” Yes! I thought. He sees what I do each day about our campus: that it’s safe, secure, peaceful, beautiful. It’s especially so in the fall, but it can take be just as wonderful in the spring when the trees are flowering, or the winter just after a snowfall, the kind that piles up all feathery on the branches.

Getting to school as early as I do, you might not think I’d find a lot to appreciate about my early morning arrival. But the sunrises are most often outstanding, and this year’s fall foliage has been spectacular. Everywhere I look, there are sights and sounds that remind me that Jesus is always present. I was glad to discover this week that I wasn’t the only one who found serenity in the beautiful fall palette of the pre-school quiet. I loved that it was a sophomore boy who realized it, too.

1 comment:

Christy Woolum said...

I am glad I visited the site that has the beautiful backgrounds like yours. What a fun site!