The drive itself, once you get within 6-8 miles of the town, is a botanical education with flora- and fauna- identification signs posted by shrubs, trees, and cacti. The signs are large enough to read as you drive by.
- In the 1950’s, two entrepreneurs K.T. Palmer and Tom Darlington, formed a partnership and acquired the land now known as Carefree.
- In the 1960’s, SkyRanch Airport and the Desert Forest Golf Club opened. The first shops and restaurants were constructed and business commenced within the TownCenter.
- In the 1970’s, a total of approximately 300 homes had been constructed. Many of the roads in and around Carefree were paved.
- In the 1980’s, Carefree incorporated as a Town.
- In the 1990’s, the population of Carefree increased to over 2,500 residents.
- Today, Carefree’s population is approaching 4,000 residents. The Carefree Desert Gardens and Amphitheater hold numerous community concerts and events such as world class art shows throughout the year. Carefree celebrates 50 years of history and 25 years of incorporation.