Saturday, September 09, 2006

The smell of rain

Early this evening, my parents and I were sitting out on their patio, enjoying the cool breeze and listening to the happy birds singing all over the yard. Goldfinch were flitting around, a humming bird buzzed in for a drink. It was lovely and peaceful.

All of a sudden, my dad said "I smell rain." I thought that was an interesting thing for him to say, but within seconds, the sky got dark, the wind started tossing birds and leaves around in the air, and we knew the rain would soon be upon us.

We gathered our things and went inside, just as it started to pour down rain. It didn't last long, just long enough to put an end to our outdoor lounging...

1 comment:

Patty said...

I often can smell rain coming too. Its an earthy damp sort of smell. As if the rain has changed the surface of the ground and released its secret scent