Sunday, May 10, 2020

Clothed with Strength and Dignity

This text perfectly describes my mother who has given me strength, shown dignity in all situations, laughed with my thousands of times over all kinds of situations and experiences.  She has no fear for the future because she has place her hand firmly in God's.  She is always wise and is still giving me instruction and showing me kindness.  She is the epitome of motherhood.  But she has also shown me how to be the quintessential professional.  I had the privilege of working with her at New England Memorial Hospital/Boston Regional Hospital in my teens and early twenties.  I learned so much from her about how to behave in the work place.  What a blessing she's been in my life!

We took the picture together when she was here with us in January.  We have the best time together!  We have many of the same interests--in reading, in music, in gardening, in exploring and adventuring.  There are no dull moments when she is around, that is for sure!

I've never had kids of my own, but have spent decades of my life working with teenagers.  They are lucky I had my mom's example of loving kindness and patience.  I wouldn't be half the person I am without her good example.

She's 91 one now, will be 92 at the end of the summer.  My sisters, brothers-in-law, nieces, and nephews have been so fortunate to enjoy life with her part of ours!

I've also enjoyed observing mothers out in nature.  This Gambol's quail is one.  When we lived on campus, we had a family of Gambol's Quails who would bring their tiny babies to our backyard to fee off the quail block we kept under the pomegranate tree there.  We miss seeing her now that we've moved off campus.

No comments: