Thursday, May 10, 2012

This is just to say

that I love the look of surprise
on the face of
my students
when
they discover
the beauty, the power, the passion
that is
poetry.

But then there's the smile
of recognition
when one
meets a kindred spirit for the first time
as if they had always
been friends.
So sweet.  And so rare.

If you know William Carlos Williams, you probably know his amazing little poem "This is just to say."  We watched an enactment of that poem today in my AP Lit. class.  Most kids said "How is that poetry?"  Which was fine because it opened up discussion about what is art in the first place.  But one sat to the side and said nothing.  Just smiled that smile of recognition.  That, too, is why I teach.




1 comment:

Christy Woolum said...

I love this poem. His work is so inviting and I love this imitation. I hope your year is winding down nicely.