Saturday, April 22, 2006

Aix-en-Provence, trois

Aix-en-Provence is located about 15 miles north of Marsailles which is on the south central coast of France. When I landed in Marsailles, I didn't know how I was going to get from the airport to my hotel. Luckily, people were very friendly and a kind lady steered me to the bus station which took me, coincidentally (or not) to within half a block of my hotel. For the next ten days, I walked everywhere, except for the two excursions I took...one north to Loumarins (setting for the book A Year in Provence) and one south for a day in the picturesque harbor town of Cassis.

Aix sits in the shadow o
f Mt. St. Victoire, a mountain Cezanne painted over and over from many angles. One day I climbed up to Cezanne's studio and beyond to his main vantage point...on a high hill across the valley from the mountain. It was a hot afternoon, and I hadn't realized how far the hike was to the studio. By the time I arrived, I thought I was going to pass out from heat stroke! I walked into the gift shop to buy my ticket for the studio and the cashier took one look at me and went and got me a cold bottle of water. That kindness from a stranger overwhelmed me. She told me to go out and sit under some shade trees and cool off...which I did. After I enjoyed my tour through the studio, I rewarded her by buying a whole bunch of things from the shop. And she gave me a few things in return.

Thursday was the main market day. I got up early to take these photos before the heat wilted everything...and everyone.

3 comments:

Sunny said...

Blogging is a great way to re-live it. Hope you made a nice scrapbook too.

R. Aastrup said...

I took lots of pictures, plus did a lot of writing (for the class as well as myself). I did make an album when I got back...and enjoy looking at it and reliving one of the best learning experiences of my life.

Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»