Sunday, April 30, 2006

AUCOEAC in NYC

For the second time this month, I've spent time in New York City. At the beginning of April, I went down with my sister's family for two days. They were playing with NEYE in Carnegie Hall and I went along to reacquaint myself with a former life, so to speak. It was a happy reunion, and I got to share it with my nephew. We spent Sunday morning wandering the area between 7th Avenue and 5th Avenue, between Rockefeller Plaza and Central Park until it was time for lunch and then the concert. Thirteen years ago I spent many a similar weekend, back when I played with NEYE at Carnegie Hall on a regular basis.

This time, I was experiencing my first spring meeting of the principals and superintendents of the Atlantic Union. Northeastern Conference hosted us and chose to put us up at the Millenium UN Plaza Hotel, right across the street from the United Nations. Wednesday, Southern New England and Northern New England personnel (including myself) packed into an Expedition for the trip south. After getting settled in our hotel, we ventured forth to explore our neighborhood. The three hour trek took us to Grand Central Station, Bryant Park, Time Square, and Broadway where we saw a Disney movie being filmed on top of a bus in the street.

Thursday, we had lunch in the UN dining room. The food was exquisitely presented and didn't taste half bad either! After eating, we took a tour of the UN. Our guide was French/ Argentinian...and excellent. The tour was fascinating. I wish I could remember all the things the guy told us...

Friday we spent the morning at the R.T. Hudson Elementary School where I helped out in the 3/4th grade room. A little girl drew a picture of me. You'll be interested to know she depicted me as a blond with long straight hair, dark tan skin and ear rings. An exact replica!!! This school was where Northeastern Academy was located when I visited it on a band tour in college. It's an old building but very well preserved.

Friday afternoon, we took a bus trip to Lancaster, PA where we attended an excellent presentation of "Behold the Lamb" at the Sight and Sound Christian Theater. We were amazed at the luxurious surroundings, but even more incredulous at the presentation itself. It traced Jesus' ministry through His resurrection in incredible detail. While some of the theology didn't match up with ours, it was an inspirational experience that caused me to consider how my own life is spent...and made me vow to refocus and reconfigure that life...

I got home Sabbath afternoon with about an hour to spare before going off to the memorial service for Elder Hammond, GBA's first principal. It lasted nearly three hours...hours that were filled with music and memories. Hearing all the tributes to this man who was known for his letters and phone calls and his concern about his student's relationship with Jesus, I wondered what my legacy will be whenever that last day arrives for me...and I realized that I can determine much of that by the way I live each day. It's just a matter of the choices I make about the way I treat those I deal with every day.

I have always hoped to make a difference. It's why I teach. And why I can't imagine doing anything else...


3 comments:

Patty said...

what ? No photo of this portrait

Sunny said...

I thought the arrival of your dad was the best thing that ever happened to that school and I am sure there will be those who say the same about you.

Anonymous said...

Your website has a useful information for beginners like me.
»