Friday, September 01, 2006

The First Week

Whew! We got through our first week of school fairly unscathed! That's always a relief. I have slept little and worked long hours, but things mostly went smoothly. Most people wouldn't know what wasn't working. The kids seem calmer this year, for some reason. I'm not sure why. They certainly are quieter. Again, I'm not sure why. And they sing! In harmony! That hasn't happened in awhile. It's pretty cool.

It rained much of the morning on Monday, so we had to have our Flag Raising Ceremony inside instead of outside around the flag pole. We had to meet in the gym and saluted the flag rather than actually raise it. Our 7/8th grade teacher played the trumpet before the Pledge, which the kids thought was cool. Then we had a huge prayer circle followed by a handshake. I especially loved seeing the big kids with the tiny little pre-k kids. All in all, it was a nice first day.

Thursday night we had a Corn Roast/Open House for the parents. This went well, too, with quite a number of families coming out to enjoy getting acquainted with our new teachers. During the course of the evening, we signed up a new pre-k students and hope to get another student by the time Tuesday rolls around. That would help ease the money stress that is always hanging around us.

The new staff is easing into things. We have four contract teachers this year, which has made scheduling a nightmare. But they are good, nice teachers and the kids like and respect them it seems. Our staff is quite multi-cultural with all of the major ethnic groups represented in a well-balanced way. This wasn't planned, it just happened. But it's interesting and healthy, I think.

Today, I spent a lot of time laughing--partly because I was so tired I couldn't do anything else, it seemed, but also because I was just plain enjoying the people I was working/talking with. That's a good feeling. Especially when you spend so many hours with them!!!

Pictures:
Zinneas on my desk first day of school Astrid (my 2nd cousin and the new contract English teacher) brought them to me.

Dwight plays for the Salute to the Flag ceremony

7/8th graders along with some of our staff (including Lauren) waiting for the handshake

The 2006-2007 EW/GBA staff (all but two of them)

Sunflower for the front office that Astrid brought in

5 comments:

Sunny said...

Isn't the internet wonderful! Instead of just enjoying Astrid's flowers until they wilt you can have them forever documented on your blog and go back and re-live the joy of receiving them over and over whenever the mood strikes.

R. Aastrup said...

Yes. It's great! And I can share those memories as well. Astrid is a sweetheart. She's thrilled to be teaching, finally. It's been some 10 years since she graduated from college. I lived with her grandmother my first two years of college.

Patty said...

sounds like a busy first week, but very successful.
How nice to receive flowers from Astrid.
I hope the students remain quiet and calm and that the year is a remarkable one in all the best ways. Now remember, take care of yourself too and don't overwork... can you hear the mother in me : )

R. Aastrup said...

You are saying to me the things I say to the younger staff members. In fact we have a running joke where I say "I'm NOT your mother but...get some rest, take care of yourself" etc., etc. It's much easier giving advice than taking it, though. At least for me. I can easily see how others should say "NO" to everything that comes their way, but struggle saying it myself......

Patty said...

You need to read the book, THE GENTLE ART OF DOING NOTHING : )