Saturday, September 30, 2006

There's a boy in the house!

My nephew is staying with me this weekend. We are having such a good time! We've been good pals for his entire life, but each age has its special experiences. For years I babysat him and his sister (until she was old enough to do it) when their parents were at orchestra rehearsals once a week. We'd have a routine that we always did. I'd come in time for supper, then Julie would go do her homework and David and I would play games until it was time for him to go to bed. I'd get him ready, read him a story, pray with him, put on some music or a story on tape and then go hang out with Julie for awhile until she went to bed.

Now that I don't babysit as much, I have to find ways to spend time with him differently. We like to go to Papa Gino's and to see cool kids' movies. Tonight we went to Papa Gino's and had a great time just talking. "We always have good luck together," he said to me. That's because the last time we went to this Papa Gino's I locked my keys in the car and there just "happened" to be a AAA guy eating in there (we saw his truck in the parking lot), so we asked if he could help us and, easy as pie, he did! Another time we went to see The Polar Express but it was sold out. He was so disappointed! I was buying him some consolation candy when I thought to ask the lady if there were any cancellations. She checked and just at that moment, someone called to release two tickets! We grabbed them and ran, literally, as we were a bit late. Yes, we have good luck together!

The cats have been very curious about him being here. They keep sniffing his shoes and his bag and licking him while he's sleeping!

He sings in the school choir and today was their first performance...for Alumni Weekend. They sang very well, and he was quite excited about performing like that for the first time. I loved that he enjoyed it so much!

"If you could have just two wishes, what would they be?" he asked me. After I told him mine, he said that he wished "God would come right now." Put me and my wishes to shame...

2 comments:

Patty said...

what a sweet young man ! His parents can be proud as can you to be his auntie.
I was a bit jealous about the trip to Papa Ginos. I love their pizza. Especially that new one, the thin crust sort of artisan style. Can't remember the name.
Next time you go, have a bite for me !
Hows Alumni weekend going ?

R. Aastrup said...

We had a successful Alumni Weekend. The 25 and 35 year classes had the most representatives. Over 200 came to the pot luck after church!

I met with the officers this morning to debrief and plan for next year, which should be even better. you should come sometime!