Monday, November 06, 2006

No place like Home

I spent part of the weekend with my parents. Next to traveling, that's my favorite thing to do. I'm so grateful that they live near enough so I can go virtually whenever I want with little effort. Within 90 minutes I can be home. And that, in fact, is what I did Saturday morning.

I took the back roads to get there, driving through some lovely farmland and the quaint town of South Berwick, home to Sarah Orne Jewett, the great quirky spinster local color writer chronicalling life in Maine. She wrote such things as...

"It does seem so pleasant to talk with an old acquaintance who knows what you know. I see so many new folks nowadays who seem to have neither past nor future. Conversation has got to have some root in the past, or else you have got to explain every remark you make, and it wears a person out."

"Tact is after all a kind of mind reading."


"The thing that teases
the mind over and over for years, and at last gets itself put down rightly on paper - whether little or great, it belongs to Literature."

"When I was as you are now, towering in the confidence of twenty-one, little did I suspect that I should be at forty-nine, what I now am.
"

"Yes'm, old friends is always best, 'less you can catch a new one that's fit to make an old one out of.
"

Well, I had some lovely conversation with my oldest and dearest friends. It was well worth the trip. We walked and talked and sat and talked and watched Loma Linda Church and vespers and generally had a peaceful, restful time together.

Best of all, I got to have breakfast with them in the morning. This is one of my favorite things about staying over night...lingering over a good breakfast together.

5 comments:

Heidi said...

How special to have such a haven of refuge.

R. Aastrup said...

Yes. I am blessed, no doubt about it.

Sunny said...

The truth is..you CAN go home again.

I totally love "Tact is after all a kind of mind reading." (Note to self: compliment DH for being the tactful kind of guy he is.)

And "old friends is always best, 'less you can catch a new one that's fit to make an old one out of" are some of the wisest and truest words I've heard in a while.

Patty said...

Oh Rondi, I just love that quote about having a history with friends that saves you having to explain everything and who you are talking about when you mention a family member. Its so true and I have said a similar thing so many times. Old friends are so very dear for so many reasons. Its just nice not having to explain everything. Looks like you had a wonderful weekend !

R. Aastrup said...

Sarah Orne Jewett is simple but rather profound at times. Country of the Pointed Firs is a slow but sneaky book chronicling Maine life at the turn of the previous century. The characters are quirky but interesting and Jewett gives you food for thought. She and Mary Wilkins Freeman are among my favorite regional writers.