Saturday, November 18, 2006

Reconnecting yet again

I spent more than a few hours tonight writing to former students. I must have sent out at least 20 e-mails to students from both SLA and GBA. I found most of their addresses on MySpace, believe it or not. These are "kids" between the ages of 24 and 35, grown ups I was quite close with during their high school years. Most I have been in and out of touch, sometimes seeing at Alumni weekends, sometimes running into each other on the internet.

It's been on my mind to reconnect for some time, now, and today, I just took the time to do it. I've already heard back from two. I expect a response from all, to be honest. It would surprise me if it went otherwise.

That's one of the great things about teaching in a small school the way I do. You have the opportunity to connect in ways you never do in a big school. Making a difference is paramount among the reasons why I stay. Today it felt like it was worth it.

No comments: