Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Norway in the Office

Awhile back I wrote about the escapes I have provided myself in my office. I finally got a good picture of one of the paintings I've hung there. When our family was in Bergen last summer (a year ago already! I can't believe it!), we spent one day taking the "Norway in a Nutshell" tour from Bergen that took us first on the Bergen Railroad, then on the Flam Railway (a fabulously beautiful descent from Voss through the Flam valley with waterfalls & rivers), then on a fjord cruise on the spectacular Aurlandsfjord and the Naeroyfjord branches, on a bus trip up the crazily steep Stalheimskleiven canyon road that has a breathtaking view at the top, and back to the picturesque coastal city of Bergen where we were staying.

When we arrived in Aurland, we had a couple of hours to shop before boarding the boat to cruise through the fjords. I bought this painting in one of the shops.

We also tried on dozens of beautiful Norwegian sweaters. Eventually, each of the adults ended up getting at least one, although I bought mine at the Fish Market in Bergen the following day. When we took our family Christmas picture in December, we all wore our sweaters. They are lovely to look at, and people always comment on them...but they are also hot and scratchy if you don't wear something long-sleeved under them...which makes them hotter!

No comments: