Thursday, June 15, 2006

Public or private?

I'm trying to decide what to do with this blog. Right now, it's just a private one for friends and family members. I've hesitated to make it public because I'm not sure I want to open my life up to strangers. And yet there's a part of me that is curious about who out there would read what I share. I'm afraid that if I opened it up, I might have a lot more pressure to write and that it would consume me. I am already spending a lot more time on this and my Multiply site since school finished. On Multiply, it's built in to see who checks out your pages, etc. but that, too, is open only to family and friends (by my choice).

Perhaps this hesitance to hold on to my privacy is similar to my demand to my family that when I die, my diaries (some 30 of them by now) are to be burned (without reading them!). I hardly write in my journal any more...in fact I think the last time I did was when I went to Peru. That makes me sad, as I used to love writing like that...but I get terrible hand cramps...hence, my gradual shift over to blogging...

4 comments:

Sunny said...

Well, blogging is the new diary, you know. And, it has the advantage that just before you die you can delete it with a single click. (jolly joke). And, you can still keep scrapbooks etc on the side. Some blogs are so beautiful that they really should be printed out as a book. I know what you mean about the public vs private thing though. The public aspect is exactly why I can't really SAY anything on mine. And have to be careful of the pics I post, taking down kids of the pics as soon as the correct people have seen them.

R. Aastrup said...

The pictures are another reason I hesitate to make this public. For now, I think I'll just invite those I want to read/see it...

Patty said...

Its been a wonderful experience for me to have so many people read my blog. I feel like I have made so many friends and not one weirdo has contacted me. I have had over 40,000 hits to my blog since March 16th and its all been such a blessing.
BTW, I have journals since I was 15. Never counted them, but I bet there are a lot of them. Perhaps I should burn those teenage ones now : )

Sunny said...

No, you keep 'em Patty. They are your treasures or you wouldn't have kept them so long.