Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Overture for the Fourth

I'm listening to the Boston Pops play the 1812 Overture as it's prelude to the fireworks over the Charles. They are at the part where all the instruments go crazy, just before the cannons go off...in the orchestra and out over the Charles. I've been there live several times, probably not countless, but enough times to know the excitement and anticipation in the air out there right now. And enough times to have favorite memories.

Twenty three years ago tonight, all my family--immediate and extended--were there... It was right in between my two sisters' weddings (they got married two weeks apart). We were packed into our little square of real estate enjoying the music and each other. I don't remember who performed. I just remember being there with a huge family group.

Another time I was there with a girlfriend, her boyfriend and some friend of his. That might have been the most awkward time I've been there, as I didn't know this guy...and don't remember his name or what he looked like now, I'm embarassed to say. I'm sure the music was fun, though, all the same.

I remember a time when the Empire Brass were the featured artists and we were there early enough to enjoy their dress rehearsal as well as the concert. And there was the time I went with two friends and we sat along the Charles on the Cambridge side and heard Sandi Patti as clearly as if we had been sitting at her feet.

[Here go the cannons! And the crowd is roaring and there go the fireworks! The first time this Overture was ever played for a 4th of July concert was there in Boston on the Esplenade... (a little tidbit Jack Williams just told us).]

One of my favorite times of listening to the Pops was almost disastrous. I was with Bryant and Kevin (two colleagues from school) planning to watch things on TV at their place when we got the bright idea to go out behind the old GBA to the hill that overlooks Boston and watch from there. So we got Bryant's boom box (and some fireworks he had) and went out behind the school and climbed up the hill to a clearing where we could see everything clearly. We were hanging out, listening to the simulcast and enjoying the view. Then Bryant made the mistake of lighting one of the (weak) fire crackers which somehow caught the attention of a bored woman in a police car...and she literally tracked us down and tried to arrest us! She said we were trespassing and also setting off firecrackers illegally (never mind that they only fizzled). Thankfully, we were able to talk our way out of it, but it was a little unnerving for a bit. That's the closest I've come to having a record (I think)...

We've celebrated at my sister Lauren's for the past several years in a much calmer and roomier environment. That's what we did today. I went home around 7 and started watching at 8. But watching on TV just isn't the same. You do hear better, though.

One of the thrills tonight was hearing former student Renese King sing. She is a "Pops Favorite" and often performs both on the 4th and in Symphony Hall. I am always proud when I see and hear her. She represents her school and church well. Tonight she sang Amazing Grace and a beautiful negro spiritual Over My Head. A few years ago, she sang to accompany Peter Jennings who was reading a number of famous American speeches and documents. Keith Lockhart really likes Renese and has even taken her with the Pops for a 17-city tour. You go, girl!

Well, the telecast is going national a few minutes. Too bad the nation didn't hear what came before. Now, all they have to look forward to is Aerosmith!!! (I just heard their first set...and it was...awful. Really awful. And I had just called my dad to tell him to watch! Ah well. There's bound to be something better in a few minutes...like Souza...)

Photos from Boston Globe archives and Boston Pops publicity.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Those fireworks are spectacular - I do so love fireworks - any excuse :o)

R. Aastrup said...

Hi Anne--

Thanks for stopping by. Yes, I love fireworks, too!