Monday, October 09, 2006

It's a small world...getting smaller

This past weekend, my sisters, niece and I went to a college in TN to visit my other niece and to hear her perform in her first college orchestra concert. We also wanted Kaitie to see what the college was like and if she would want to go there next year. We had the expected happy time reuniting with Julie and meeting her friends. We went out to eat with them not once but twice, and enjoyed hearing the orchestra twice as well.

In addition to the anticipated joy, though, was the surprise of seeing former students, some of whom I haven't seen for more than 20 years! Here's how small a world it is now. My sisters, Kaitie and I were sitting in the third row at church, right in front of the cello section (the orchestra wsas playing for church) so we could see Julie. Suddenly, I noticed the woman who was shepherding three adorable little boys into the row ahead of us. Our eyes locked, and sparked with recognition. It was a "girl" I had taught at my very first school in MI, 23 years ago!!! Through whispered conversation, I found out that she married her academy sweetheart (who I also taught). When I said I was there to hear my niece, she was delighted to see who I pointed out: her son's cello teacher, my niece!!! Oh, such a small world. But...it got even smaller when she told me that two others of my niece's students are sons of another former student of mine!!! How amazing is that?

Later that evening, at Evensong, I turned around and found myself face-to-face with a more recent former student, who ended up sitting with us for the the program. And the day before, two other former students were part of the group that went out for lunch (at a very fine Italian restaurant, I might add).

Lunch Saturday afternoon was at the home of a dear friend and former roommate who is married to someone I used to date, sort of. Oh yes, it is a small world!

I have not been a single place in the whole world (and I've been to nearly 30 countries by now) where I didn't meet someone I know or who knows someone I know. I find that amazing, and amazingly cool.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes--it is amazing to find out how many people you know either directly or indirectly when you go to a new place or revisit a favorite place. I'm looking forward to experiencing this again this coming week during my convention in Baltimore. I already found out that an acquaintance from college is going to be in my Thursday tour group.

Anonymous said...

Oh, forgot to mention...I got a letter from AA today. It was special and sad all at the same time.

R. Aastrup said...

Oh yes...very sad about AA. And do you know about SH in the same situation? My sister and I plan to go see AA sometime soon. Sigh...

Anonymous said...

Yeah, AA told me about SH. Very sad, but potentially good if the whole ordeal helps to turn their lives around.

Patty said...

The SDA world is indeed small, and comfortable in a special way.
Sounds like you had a great time