Saturday, October 28, 2006

Red Auerbach dies

I turned on tonight's 11 o'clock news to hear that Celtics legend Red Auerbach had died. This would have been his 57th season with the Celtics. Bob Lobel had a lengthy biography/tribute as the top story with footage of dozens of games I remember watching, in person or on TV.

I didn't know him personally, but I'd seen him many times at Celtics games, and read hundreds of thousands of articles about him and the Celtics. He was there during the glory days, the years when I wouldn't miss a game (except on Sabbath). He changed the Celtics, changed progressional basketball. It's not the same today. I can't remember the last time I watched even a quarter of a Celtics game. That might have something to do with the job I have and the more important things I have to do. But that's besides the point right now. Red Auerbach is dead. And that saddens me.

No comments: