Friday, April 27, 2007

AUCOEAC in Newport

I've been in Newport, Rhode Island the past two days for principals and administrators meetings (AUCOEAC stands for Atlantic Union Conference Office of Education Administrative Council. My sister calls this the alphabet committee!). These twice yearly meetings bring together some two dozen colleagues from New England, New York, and Bermuda. In the fall, we meet at the Union headquarters in South Lancaster. In the spring, we travel to various locations within the Union. Last year, we were in New York City. This year, we are in Newport.

I've only been to Newport once before, many years ago. I don't really remember a lot about it, although my mother says we walked along the Cliff Walk to see some of the famous mansions. I vaguely remember that, but not enough to recognize anything now.

Yesterday afternoon, we toured The Beechwood, summer "cottage" of the Astors. It was fantastic. I've taken dozens of pictures, but have to be off to another meetings, so will have to post them later, perhaps tonight when I get back, or tomorrow morning before we meet again.

My hotel room has a view of the harbor. In fact, I'm staying in the Newport Harbor Hotel =)

1 comment:

La Tea Dah said...

Very nice post. I enjoyed the tour of the Astor home especially. Imagine, being the 'QUEEN OF THE HOME' to that degree. Outlandish, actually, but ain interesting concept.