Saturday, March 01, 2008

As Birds Unto the Genial Homeland

I learned another new hymn in church this week. The song leader was having us try new hymns with "irregular" meters. This one was copyrighted in 1932 by the Central Conference of American Rabbis. David Levy wrote the lyrics. It's set to a tune by Max Grauman.

As birds unto the genial homeland fly,
The winter's cold and low'ring skies to flee,
So seeks my soul Thy gracious presence here
And finds, O God, its rest and peace in Thee.

Here at Thy shrine we leave all vexing care,
Forget the disappointment, grief and tear,
And on the wings of hopeful song and prayer
We rise, and rising feel Thy Spirit here.

Bless all who spend this night in pain and woe,
The burdened heart, the fainting, and distressed,
Thy comfort send to darkened homes bereaved,
Thy saving help to those by wnt oppressed.

Come, Sabbath joy, each trusting heart now fill,
A glissful peace within our homes abide,
May thankful praise each grateful heart now thrill,
And to God's loving care their lives confide.

2 comments:

Ruth said...

Another beautiful hymn, and interesting that it is Jewish in origin. I will have to look up the tune.

Unknown said...

I just sang this one for my church, and a member told me after the service that it was written by a rabbi (but trying to confirm this brought me here to a 10 yr old post vs any actual source)