Monday, April 06, 2020

Casting All Your Cares

My parents gave me a beautiful leather bound Bible for my 18th birthday.  It also doubled as one of my academy graduation presents (I graduated on my birthday).  It's been awhile since I've picked that Bible up, especially since that advent of Bible apps for our devices that give us access to scores of versions, translations, and paraphrases.  It's seen better days.  My dog got ahold of it many years ago and had fun chewing on the leather binding of the spine, but happily did not get to the pages.

When they gave me this Bible, each of them had written something to me.  My dad wrote a very personal note and my mother shared some of the best advice anyone's given me.  It worked for me as a teenager getting ready to go out into the unknown of college.  And it works for me now as each day is a great big unknown.  The advice came in the form of a text:  1 Peter 5:7  "Cast all your cares upon Him for He careth for you."  That's the familiar King James Version.  But the paraphrase from this birthday Bible (The Living Bible) says this:  "Let Him have all your worries and cares, for He is always thinking about you and watching everything that concerns you."

And that's the advice I share with you today:  Give Jesus your worries today.  He cares about you, He is thinking about you and watching everything that concerns you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really like this. That is one great piece of advice. Last year i was going through some things and this one day in particular i was just having a bad day. From the moment i woke up things just started going bad. I remember skipping practice that day because i just needed a break and on my way home i received a notification. It was my bible app i clicked on it and a took me to the verse of the day. It was Psalms 91:2 and i remember reading it. I got the chills and my eyes got watery. It felt like that was just what i needed and i felt so much better. That verse just reminds me to be strong in the Lord because he is there for us.