Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Blog Excitement

So today, the girls from Creative Writing class who are also in Journalism class were all excited about their new blogs. In fact one girl actually named hers "igotmyownblog" and was thrilled to show it to me (I've been trying to link to it but have not been successful so far). I love when my students are excited about writing. It's so satisfying!

Honors English class was fun today, too. We're finishing our work on Henrik Ibsen's A Doll's House. It's the first time since student teaching that I've taught that book/play and we had a good time reading and discussing it together. Today we were editing rough drafts of their papers. Each of them had interesting points to make.

This year the six students read books from the various cultures represented in the class. Amazingly, there are six different countries represented by the six kids. So far we've studied books from Haiti (Breath, Eyes, Memory), South Africa (Cry, the Beloved Country), Cuba (The Old Man and the Sea), the Dominican Republic (In the Time of the Butterflies), and now Norway.

Our last book will be from the United States: Mitch Albom's Tuesdays with Morrie, a phenomenal book that I read in one afternoon, and cried through much of it. I can't wait to read it with these kids. They are deep, insightful readers some of whom I've known since they were 5 years old...and my niece since her very first day. I will miss them enormously next year...

5 comments:

Patty said...

Love that book Rondi. Makes me cry just to remember some of the parts of it.
Have your students use blog safety. No ages, no where they live, no routines, that sort of things. There are some good web pages on blog safety out there.

Patty said...

p.s.
I am sure you already know all that stuff about blog safet. I am just being "mothering" ! Can't help myself...

R. Aastrup said...

For now, they are just supposed to post things we're writing in class. But they are very aware of internet safety right now. Two weeks ago we had a rep from the Attorney General's office come and talk with all our students about being safe on-line. Made a big impact...

Patty said...

I knew you would be on top of it all !

Anonymous said...

Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»