Sunday, May 21, 2006

Still raining

I'm looking out my living room window as I write this. All I can see are trees whipping wildly about in wind and rain. The sky is gray and the trees stand out starkly against this bleak backdrop. I'm glad this is the only day this week that is supposed to be rainy. We had much too much rain last week. Fortunately the school didn't get any rain and most people I know with basements survived fairly easily. Our office administrator had a lot of water, though, and she figures she and her family pumped/hauled nearly 5,000 gallons of water out of their basement! That's a lot of water! Last Sunday I went out with my camera and found a few interesting sites two of which are posted here.

I am struggling to keep calm about the next three weeks. If you teach in a high school or academy, or have any school connection, you know that May is a terribly full month. There are all the year-end activities and programs and graduations. When you are in a small school, everyone is involved in everything...which means that you are constantly exhausted, and feel like the tree above, in a swirl of activity that threatens to overwhelm. At the end of the year, the teachers always vow that "next year won't be like this," but every year it's the same. Somne things can't be helped, I guess. And the only way to deal is just to live one day at a time.

I find it hard to just let things go like that without making a list so I am sure to do all I need to. So today, my list included finalizing the graduation program after going to the church and working through the processional and recessional options with our organist, creating a practice/ performance schedule for the seniors and sending it out to them and their parents, doing lesson plans, going grocery shopping, writing letters, catching up on the e-mail that has piled up in cyber space...doing laundry, vacuuming and dusting...

A long list. But doable... The only thing I have left after 12 hours of work is the laundry, which I kind of forgot until just this minute. Sigh... It does look as though I might actually get to bed at a reasonable hour, though, and that is good news indeed!

3 comments:

Patty said...

sounds exhausting ! You will need the summer off just to recover from May.
I am going to be in Stoneham in less than two weeks now. I will email you and hopefully we can set up some time to see each other. Tea at breads and bits sounds good to me. Relaxing and no work for anyone.
The pictures are amazing.

R. Aastrup said...

Sometimes my life is overwhelming. That's when I go to your blog and find peace in what you're doing. I long for days of contemplation and quiet. But they are few and far between. Back when I didn't work all summer too, I recharged my batteries then. But I've not had a whole summer off for at least 11 years. I do plan on taking Fridays off and as many Mondays as I can manage. That gives me the illusion of more time off...sigh... I don't really know how not to multitask!!!

Patty said...

if you ever want to come see me, and live the quiet life for a week or so come on down !