Monday, May 08, 2006

New Bloggers

Yay! I hit on what I hope will be a fun thing for my Creative Writing class to do: start their own blog! It's going to be their final project of a class that we enjoy but keep missing (it meets only on Monday and we seem to miss a lot of Mondays...). I showed them several blogs from friends (including several of former students) and then showed them how easily they could create their own. They seem to be excited about working on this project. I will be interested to see what they do with this new way of sharing their work.

Meanwhile, I've enjoyed discovering new, or should I say, rediscovering old friends...some from as long ago as high school!!! When I was telling my students about this, they were quite amazed.

I am sending the academy students off to Salem tomorrow. Any other year, I'd be going with them, but I will stay back with the elementary students this time. One "duty" I am looking forward to carrying out is giving my nephew David his Barnes and Noble gift certificate for winning the elementary poetry writing contest. When his teacher read it out loud to the whole school in our assembly on Friday, he thought the students were laughing at him. In reality, they were thoroughly enjoying his poem, and several told him so afterwards. Two budding writers in the same family (his sister is in the creative writing class)! (These are Lauren's children.) Martha's daughter, Kaitie, loves to write as well...and has already started her own blog. She is an expert web page designer, too. Her brother, Christopher is more into sports, but I don't doubt that he can spin a good story if he has to.

2 comments:

Patty said...

How fun Rondi,
Hope you will share the links with me so I can read some of their blogs.

R. Aastrup said...

Check out my first student's blog: God is My Refuge (that's the name of her Pathfinder Club). She's posted two assignments from Creative Writing class this year. The girls, especially, are all excited about this new project. Other fun things we've done this year is make our own journals, write a book of poems, and write a short story. We've had a lot of fun writing together. I try to do as much as possible with them. We write, share, and enjoy =)