Friday, March 30, 2007

The Conclusion of the Matter

The focus of our Bible study at church this quarter has been Ecclesiastes. This week, we come to the end, the conclusion. In fact, the penultimate verse in the book says as much: “When all has been heard, the conclusion of the matter is: fear God and keep His commands, because this is for all humanity.” Those were Solomon’s parting words to his generation. Fear God and keep His commands.

One of the discussion leaders of my study group asked us to consider what our parting words would be. “Is your message to the next generation, ‘Fulfill your duty to keep God's commandments, (v13) because there is going to be a judgment’(v14)? Or do you have another conclusion to the 'whole matter' of humanity's apparent hopelessness?” He went on to ask us to ponder this question throughout the week and be prepared to share our answer with the class when we next
meet.


Well, I’ve been thinking. What is the message I want to pass on to those who know me? I’m thinking I shouldn’t be waiting until my time is up to share my conclusions about life with those I rub shoulders with every day. I’m thinking I should be taking every opportunity to share the truth about God, as I know it, with everyone I know. That’s the reason I teach in a Christian school: so I can use my time not only to prepare others for this world, but also, and more importantly, for the world to come.

But what is the message, my specific message to those around me? And what is yours? What do your children know from you about life and God? What has been your message? Do our actions match the words we speak? And do they point others to Jesus? If we say we are Christians, if we take the name of Christ, isn’t it incumbent on us to speak like, act like, be like Christ?


Truth is, we don’t know when our last day will be, we don’t know when (or if) we will have another chance to share and show what we know about God with those we work with, live with, have influence on, and love. We don’t know when (or if) we will have another day to figure it out for ourselves, either.

The point of the matter, then—and the conclusion as well—is that all we have is now. And now is the time to get our relationship with Christ straight. Now is the time to pass the Word on to others. It may be all the time we have.


Photos: The first daffodil opens, today's sunrise, purple crocuses poke up through the dead leaves.

1 comment:

Patty said...

Good points Rondi, something to think about and certainly makes you want to define what you think and believe. I often think about how I wish I knew what my grandparents felt about things, believed as important etc. Wish they had written it down for the next generations