Sunday, March 11, 2007

Longing for Provence

I've spent a lot of time thinking about Provence. Two weeks ago I bought the DVD adaptation of Peter Mayles' book A Year in Provence. I watched the first disc last weekend and the second one last night. I also bought the DVD of A Good Year, a movie adaptation of Mayles' novel of the same name. I watched that last week and the special features today.

In between all these teasers, I've been searching the internet for opportunities to go back to Provence. In 2004 I spent 10 days there for the first time. I had read Mayles' book prior to going, so was prepared for the beauty and charm, but not for the way it would continue to haunt me. I really need to go again!

I can't decide if I want to stay in Aix-en-Provence again or up in the Louberon mountains (setting for Mayles' book). Perhaps it's a good idea to try something new...

1 comment:

Ron said...

Rondi, great to hear from you! I actually didn't realize you were such a globe-trekker and hope you find a way to make it back to Provence. The place that continues to haunt my own imagination is a little Thai village named Mae Sariang in the shadow of some mountains near the Burmese border. I often think back to an early morning I spent there in particular, watching the mist rising off the rice paddies.

Best, Ron

PS So you discovered the secret source of my page's title. It was actually originally intended as a kind of pseudo-profundity and for some reason seemed to work better than "Till the conversion of the Jews" or "My vegetable love should grow".