Monday, May 14, 2007

My Country 'Tis of Thee...

It's late and I don't have a lot of time to write, but I wanted to at least post a few pictures of the sight that greeted me in our cafegymatorium this morning. I know it was in the works, and was excited about the project, but had no idea what the effect would be until I saw it. I have to say, it quite took my breath away.

45 flags from many (and not even all) of the countries represented in the direct heritage of our students and staff!!! And consider this: we have a staff of about 12 and a student population of about 100. Imagine all that culture!!!

The best part of the day was around 11:15 when the kids started coming down for lunch. It started with the PreK/K kids who just started calling out "there's my flag!" and running under it and pointing up. So cute!

We will celebrate the wide variety of ethnicities in our school this coming Sunday with an International Food Festival. No doubt it will be a delicious experience =)

2 comments:

La Tea Dah said...

Totally amazing! It's hard to imagine all those cultures reflected in a group of just 100, but realize that everyone has their own unique heritage. I love this idea! I taught at a high school of 1,000 students and am trying to imagine what the gym would have looked like if we had done a similar project. The thought overwhelms me. Thanks for sharing this.

Heidi said...

Wow! How cool! I am not the least bit surprised by the variety of cultures represented at GBA.