Sunday, August 26, 2007

On the eve of a day long awaited...

That's what I wrote in my journal the night before my first ever day of teaching... some 29 years ago. Yikes! I don't know if I ever wrote that number down like that before! Makes me look old! But the truth is I don't really feel old as I've spent those last 29 years with kids...

And even though I'm tired tonight, having spent much of the day at school putting the finishing touches on the classroom and planning our assembly (Flag-raising and Hand-shake), I am content that I am as ready as I can be. And it's not even 9 p.m. yet! All of a sudden I don't know what to do with myself. Going to bed early would be useless, as I'll just lie there and think of things I need to do, or should have done...although I can't think of them now...

It's been horribly hot and muggy the past three days. I'm hoping it will be comfortable tomorrow. It's hard enough being cooped up after a summer of freedom, but being in a classroom and miserably hot only adds insult to injury!

All the same, I'm eager to get going. We've prepared long enough. It's time to get busy. I love the Alexander Pope quote: As the twig is bent, so the tree is inclined. It's time to bend some twigs!

Photos: First two are pictures of our staff dedication Friday morning. We had a breakfast and then a special dedication in our lobby.

The last picture is of a tree with a crooked trunk. I'm hoping our little trees turn out straighter than this one, although it is interesting to look at!

3 comments:

Patty said...

I would think the beginning of the new school year would be so exciting and it appears you see it that way too: )
Melissa is heading into her classroom tomorrow to get things ready. This year she has 7 students with autism !

La Tea Dah said...

May your school year be blessed! I remember the excitement of the first day of school --- it never leaves you, and although I have been out of the formal classroom for awhile, this time of year always brings back those memories. My first day of public school, ever, was the year I started teaching in it --- also 29 years ago, this year. Wow, the time has really flown by, hasn't it!

Thanks for the 'welcome back' to blogging. I enjoyed a wonderful visit at my Dad's and took pictures of so many interesting things. I'm looking forward to sharing.

:) LaTeaDah

Heidi said...

Glad to read that the school year is off to a great start. We've got some "problems" here of having too many students in one particular grade and not enough in others.

For example, the school right down the street has 30 third graders! Last year, second grade was full, but not THAT full. There are a lot of new kids coming in with older siblings, etc. A fun challenge to have good enrollment, for sure!

It will be fun to follow the progress of your school year via your blog.