Friday, September 21, 2007

A Hint of Fall

It's beginning to look like fall around here. The tree in front of the school has taken on a half-and-half look, red and green. I heard on the news this afternoon that we should have a "good" fall this year which made me happy, as one of the things I love about living in New England is its beautiful fall pallet.

Nothing Gold Can Stay

by Robert Frost

Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold,
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.



3 comments:

Christy Woolum said...

Ever since the first time I taught " The Outsiders" this poem is memorable every time I hear it, read it, or teach that book again. "Stay Gold."

R. Aastrup said...

One of my college friends died on October 14 nearly 30 years ago. On our way from the funeral service to the graveside service, another friend recited this poem to me. I do not go through a fall without thinking of this poem and that now-gone friend.

La Tea Dah said...

Thanks, Rondi, for the comment on my blog. How neat that you were able to meet our former pastor. It's been a long time --- I'm sure he remembers our parents better than us. :)

How's the school year going?

:) LaTeaDah