Saturday, September 15, 2007

Visit to Stone Zoo

I took my nephew to the local small zoo that's about 1/4 mile from the school where I work and he attends (8th grade). It was a cloudy day and we didn't have anything better to do, so we thought we'd go see what was new at the zoo.

It really is a small zoo, but it's well kept and is interesting enough to keep you busy for an hour or more. There are snow leopards, jaguars, a couger, wolves (the same wolves I heard howling at the moon a few weeks ago), meerkats (recent additions), and other creatures.

We enjoyed seeing all the exhibits, but the funniest, and therefore the most fun, were two river otters who got playful with us and decided to come closer to see us and pose for us. They were so cute and funny!

This zoo has long been a favorite place for me. My mother took me to it when I was a baby, and she, my sisters and I have brought their children here as well. When I came back to teach in this town I always chose the group that went to the zoo for community service. I have mucked out the duck pond, raked leaves in the flamingo house, rolled pennies from the old seal exhibit, worked in the gift shop, and served as a guide in the aviary (that no longer exists). It's my all-time favorite place to serve in this town.

2 comments:

La Tea Dah said...

What a special family tradition! It sounds like the perfect way to spend the afternoon. All God's little critters are so unique and interesting.

:) LaTeaDah

Heidi said...

In all my time in Massachusetts, I never went to this zoo, yet I often ran there for PE (from both campuses) and drove past it many, many times.