Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Autumn Song

by Dante Gabriel Rossetti

Know'st thou not at the fall of the leaf
How the heart feels a languid grief
Laid on it for a covering,
And how sleep seems a goodly thing
In Autumn at the fall of the leaf?

And how the swift beat of the brain
Falters because it is in vain,
In Autumn at the fall of the leaf
Knowest thou not? and how the chief
Of joys seems—not to suffer pain?

Know'st thou not at the fall of the leaf
How the soul feels like a dried sheaf
Bound up at length for harvesting,
And how death seems a comely thing
In Autumn at the fall of the leaf?

6 comments:

Christy Woolum said...

I think I should start collecting fall poems. I will add this to the collection.

Heidi said...

I like how you organized your blog roll--and thanks for the Kindred Spirits listing. I feel honored! How's school going? Are the kids any calmer after a few days ago?

R. Aastrup said...

IEG--Christina Rosetti is a favorite poet of mine, so I especially like this poem because she wrote it.

Heidi--Thanks! Schools going well, and things have calmed down. We had a good Alumni weekend. You'll have to come back sometime!

Sunny said...

Looks like you are in for some DECENT foliage this year!

Patty said...

oh such pretty pictures and a wonderful bit of poetry

La Tea Dah said...

You are so fortunate to have been able to take a class at Emilie Barnes home! I've read every book she's written (unless there's one I don't know about, which I doubt!). One of my classmates from college is mentioned in one of her books --- seemed so strange to read her name there.

I hope you have a blessed week-end. I wish I could be east to see the colors this autumn!

LaTeaDah