Saturday, January 07, 2012

Between the dark and the daylight · 365 Project

Between the dark and the daylight by Rondi Aastrup · 365 Project

Between the dark and the daylight, 
When the night is beginning to lower,
Come a pause in the day's occupation,
That is known as the children's hour.

Those are the opening lines of Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's poem "The Children's Hour."  The poem goes on to talk about his children and the games he plays with them.  It's a sweet recounting of a father's love for his children, one I grew up hearing and loving--for its rhythm and rhyme as much as anything else.

In a way, it was true for me tonight.  I took these pictures of the end of the sunset, at the time between the dark and the daylight, just before I had to go off to my school to watch my students play games.  This month's installment of "Class Games" featured basketball and saw my scrappy sophomores (I'm their sponsor) nearly beat the burley juniors.  They were ahead most of the game, but lost it in the waning moments.  They were disappointed, but I was proud of them.  They've come a long way since last year when they were mostly frustrating freshmen!


The pictures are of the view from my back patio.  I especially love my bougainvillea (beat up a bit as it is) against the beautiful dusky purple sky.



No comments: