Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Venus · 365 Project

Venus by Rondi Aastrup · 365 Project

I was on the 5:30-7:30 shift for supervision on campus this evening.  Usually that means having supper in the caf and then an hour and a quarter of wandering around campus, checking doors, talking with the few kids who brave the cold, and counting the minutes until you are "free" to go home, finally.  Tonight, as I left the caf, I ran into the boys' dean's wife as she was walking home from work.  We stopped and talked for awhile--about books, about how quickly the school year is going, and the beautiful night sky.  Looking directly overhead, we could see a bright star.  In the sky to our left, we could see Orion.  On the opposite side of campus, there was a brilliant, fixed light--obviously a planet.  We weren't sure, but I later looked it up:  Venus.  In this picture (taken with my cell phone), Venus is that bright dot in the center of the photo!

One of my favorite tone poems is Gustav Holst's "The Planets."  Here is "Venus" from the suite:  http://youtu.be/K1f8HjIkU3M

No comments: