Sunday, January 20, 2008

5 Things

Inland Empire Girl at her interesting blog Gathering Around the Table shared the following meme a few days ago. It says at the end to tag people, but like IEG, I'm letting anyone who wishes to do the exercise to consider themselves tagged.

These are the rules :
1. Link to the person that tagged you and post the rules on your blog.
2. A. Share 5 random and/or weird facts about yourself on your blog;
B. Share the 5 top places on your “want to see or want to see again” list;
C. Share 5 things you never pictured being in your future when you were 25 years old.
3. Tag a minimum of 5, maximum of 10 random people at the end of your post and include links to their blogs.
4. Let each person know that they have been tagged by leaving a comment on their blog.The tagees have a choice of which they want to include.

1. Share 5 random and/or weird facts about yourself:
a) I have taught English at all three of my alma maters: high school, college, and graduate school. I am now principal of my high school alma mater.
b) I once worked for the man in the oval office of the White House. This isn't a joke, but it wasn't for the president either. At my college, the English department was housed in a building called The White House (it was white, go figure). I worked for on
e of the professors whose office was an oval sun room in the front corner of the house. I enjoyed saying I worked in the oval office of the White House! I'd love to have a room/office like that now! It was so bright and sunny and had plenty of shelf space for plants =)
c) I've climbed, explored, or walked several major world landmarks: the Eifel Tower in Paris, the Great Wall of China, Red Square in Moscow, Tienneman Square in Beijing, the Leaning Tower of Pisa in Florence, the pyramids of Gisa, Westminster Abby in London, the Wailing Wall in Jerusalem, and many more.
d) I've been in every single state of the US except Alaska. I've also been to Puerto Rico.
e) My hair is naturally curly, which today I embrace, but years ago I despaired of. Back in the day before flat irons and chemical straighteners, my sister used to iron my hair every morning. What a chore! And of course you couldn't iron the top, so it was never straight all over =(

2. Share your top 5 places you want to go or want to go to again:
a) Ever since reading Out of Africa, I've wanted to go to Kenya. I want to go on a Photography Safari there or anywhere in Africa. I spent a day in the Krueger National Park, but we were in a bus and we couldn't get out, or up close. And it was just a day (a fabulous day, mind you), and not nearly long enough.
b) I want to go back to Provence. I spent 10 days in Aix-en-Provence in 2004 and I am itching to go back. I was taking a class, so I only had a few afternoons to explore other areas. Next time, I'll not be tied down to a class, although that was a wonderful experience, too.
c) I'd like to go to India. Not only would it be a new country, but a new sub-continent as well.
d) I want to go on an Alaskan Cruise. I have several friends who have done this and they say it's spectacular. Plus, that would finish up my tour of the 50 states.
e) I'd like to go to Greece, and in fact may do that this summer. The orchestra I used to play (and travel) in is going in July and my niece will be playing. My sister's family is going to go, and I think I'll try to tag along. There's nothing like an orchestra tour to move you around a country...and I'd get to sight-see during the rehearsals and all the free concerts I wanted!

3. 5 things you never pictured being in your future when you were 25 years old:
a) I was teaching in a boarding school in Michigan when I was 25. At that time, I never thought I'd be anything but a teacher. I certainly never thought (or dreamed or hoped) that I'd be a principal!
b) I never thought I'd go back to my high school alma mater either, first as a teacher and then as principal.
c) I never pictured myself traveling the world for two years as a musician, playing in some of the world's best music halls, meeting famous people--musicians, politicians, world leaders.
d) I never imagined laptops, digital cameras, or cell phones...or the major place they'd have in my life and the way I live it.
e) I never pictured myself blogging or making friends with such interesting and creative people all over the world, in all walks of life. Even two years ago, I had no idea how much blogging would influence my life. I have my high school friends Morning Ramble and Eastern Sierra Sunshine to thank for getting me into this addiction.

Now, it's your turn. What are your 5 Things?

3 comments:

La Tea Dah said...

You have been so blessed with a rich and full life! I enjoyed reading your meme post today.

:) LaTeaDaj

Ruth said...

Interesting post! None of us could have imagined the changes computers would make in our personal worlds in such a short time.

Christy Woolum said...

I loved your answers. I am amazed how many states you have been to. I didn't list it , but I would love to take a cruise to Alaska also.