Monday, January 21, 2008

Rules to Live By

I spent a quiet day working around the house today, thanks to a day off from school to honor Martin Luther King, Jr. I've written before about my favorite MLK quote,so I thought I'd share what I heard from another influential African American. Colin Powell made an appearance on The View this morning and after a bit of chit chat, he talked about the code that he lives by. He said he has thirteen "Rules for Life" that he carries with him at all times. I was so impressed with them, that I wrote them down as fast as I could. He only shared three, but I thought they were excellent rules for healthy living.

No matter how bad things look today, they’ll be better in the morning. Have a certain optimism about life. When things are weighing you down, just assume they will get better and direct all your attention in that direction.
  • Perpetual optimism is a force multiplier. You’re always looking for something that leverages your force, your ability. As long as you’re constantly optimistic that things will get better, then that helps you make them get better.
  • Don't think that failure is permanent. Every day I fail at something. The challenge is what do you do with failure? How do you learn from it? How do you move on? Not how do you linger over it. So have your failure. Learn from it, roll it up, throw it over your shoulder, and don’t think about it again. Keep moving forward

2 comments:

La Tea Dah said...

Excellent post --- great rules to live by --- and most encouraging.

Thank you!
LaTeaDah

Heidi said...

I wandered over here to find up what you're up to, and ended up, once again, being inspired. I needed to read Colin Powell's point about failure. It's been a tough month, and doubts, etc., have crowded my thoughts at night. His words were a good reminder to move on. Thanks for sharing.