Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Quick Turnaround

My alarm didn't go off this morning when it was supposed to (4 a.m.), but luckily I woke up on time anyway. Well, almost. It was about 4:20, which caused a little stress, but I made it to the airport in good time all the same. Then again, there's very little traffic at 5 in the morning, in for Boston on a week day. I got to the airport, parked, checked in, went through security, and essentially walked right onto the plane without any waiting. So, except for the anxiety initially, sleeping later turned out to be a good thing.

The flight from Logan to JFK in New York City was quick, smooth, and uneventful. We barely got to cruising altitude before we were descending for our landing. Someone from the group I was going to in-service picked me up. Turns out he had his wife with him, also a teacher, who was a student of mine . . . 19 years ago!!! Teachers aren't supposed to have favorites, at least they're not supposed to say so, but she was a member of one of my all-time favorite classes. What a great surprise to see her again!

The workshop went very well, although I had less time than I expected. I led out in a Writing Across the Curriculum seminar for about 30 high school teachers. We talked a little bit about cross-curricular teaching as well. It was fun, and I enjoyed my time, however brief it was.

Once done with the workshop, I sat through the keynote session of the day, had lunch, and then it was back to the airport. The return preliminaries took much longer (perhaps the difference between NYC and Boston, 2 p.m. and 6 a.m.), but the flight itself was just as short and sweet. We even had the same flight crew!

Photos of NYC from when I was there at the end of June.

1 comment:

La Tea Dah said...

Yikes, the stress of the misbehaving alarm! That happened to me once when I was to meet the 5:30 am train. Actually, I think I slept through the alarm. I woke up 10 minutes before the train was to leave. What a rush! Husband drove me to the train station (FAST) and we got there just as the train should have been leaving. . .but. . .it was fortunately late! What an adrenalin rush!

How special to meet a student from times past. I'm glad your seminar presentation went well.


PS: Not sure about kitten --- probably Siamese. Tonight he was named Frederick Bucky Bo-Jangles Katt. We'll see what evolves from here. The dogs have names just as long, but then they have the papers to prove it! LOL!

PSS: Happy school year! I always get a bit emotional this time of year. . .I have always loved the start of the new school year. This year I have no one to 'start the school year' with --- but I bought school supplies anyway --- for me! Post it notes, glue, markers, new pencils, etc. Old habits are hard to break.