Tuesday, January 27, 2009

A Writer's Meme

I got this meme from Write on Wednesdays:

What’s your favorite genre of writing? I enjoy reflective writing, travel writing, and poetry

How often do you get writer’s block? Almost every time I write...for a few minutes, at least. Sometimes it lasts longer, but not often. I usually have something to say =)

How do you fix it? I browse through other stuff I've written, read through inspirational quotes I've collected, just start writing until something substantive comes to mine

Do you type or write by hand? I used to love to write by hand (have dozens of journals for all kinds of reasons and purposes, but now my hand goes to sleep after I've written awhile, so it's easier (and faster) to type.

Do you save everything you write? Yes. I have whole file drawers of things I've written.

Do you ever go back to an old idea long after you abandoned it? Yes. Often I find the second go at it is successful.

Do you have a constructive critic? My father.

Did you ever write a novel? No

What genre would you love to write but haven’t? Short story or novel

What’s one genre you have never written, and probably never will? Fantasy or Science Fiction

How many writing projects are you working on right now? I've been trying to write every day on this blog at least for the month of January. So far so good, mostly. I also have a weekly newsletter for parents, a monthly inspirational piece for church, and a quarter newsletter for our Alumni.

Do you write for a living? Do you want to? Not presently, although that is a secret ambition of mine =)

Have you ever written something for a magazine or newspaper? I've had several pieces published in both magazines and newspapers.

Have you ever won an award for your writing? I once won third prize in a national contest for a poem I wrote. I went to see Les Miserables with the prize money!

What are your five favorite words? Possibilities, Difference (as in "make a..."), can (as opposed to can't), Grace, Family

Do you ever write based on your dreams? Once or twice

Do you favor happy endings, sad endings, or cliff-hangers? happy endings

Have you ever written based on an artwork you’ve seen? Several times. It's one of my favorite creative writing exercises.

1 comment:

Christy Woolum said...

I loved this, your answers, and I just did it.